Thursday, July 19, 2018

And we’re back!

It’s been a year. A year!

Vivian pointed out it’s been over a year since she was last on a plane and I shook my head, disappointed in myself.

Excuses abound. Mostly it’s that we relocated from Lehighton, Pennsylvania to Albany, New York and good chunks of time were spent figuring out the specifics, like where I’d work and where Viv would go to school and where we’d live.

As usual, things work out and life continues to be an adventure.

I accepted a job teaching at the Upper School of The Albany Academies and Viv will attend the Lower School. We found a great house to rent in the city of Albany and lots of things are in walking distance.

Rather than making this forever more be thought of as the summer I uprooted Viv, I decided we need proper adventure. Our friend Elizabeth has a conference in Bangkok and Thailand seemed like a great idea. I found an ethical elephant sanctuary, booked it, and I told Elizabeth we’d meet up with her on an island of fthe southern coast.

It fills me with glee to think of Viv feeding an elephant. I hope she loves it as much as I think she will.

After we moved into the house (The POD didn’t arrive for a week. Heat wave. That’s where the yadda, yadda, yadda comes into play.

Let’s fast forward to: Viv started camp at The Academies so she could meet some kids. It worked! I learned that Mallory knows a kid who could whistle when he was in preschool but Mallory can’t whistle.

We met the neighbors a couple houses away - both down the street and across the street. So many kids! So many potential friends! Viv already got to hang out with the kids two houses down and I’m sure will see them a lot more because they’re really nice girls and they like Minecraft.

There was a camp session called Fractured Fairy Tales - the kids write and put on a play. At one point two days ago, Viv was upset about missing the play and said she didn’t want to go to Thailand. Riiiiiiight. That Mom Card got pulled out super fast and it was wielded with strength and determination. And a wry smile as I asked if she was hungry. She was. She ate. Thailand was back on...the table... as one might say.

Do you want to see her now?



I know. 


You and I had the same reaction. 

Also:

Not Elsa. Isabella

I’ve been updating on Facebook because it’s fast and takes so little connection to upload a quick picture or two (or three) but I’ll try to maintain the blog as we travel. Hopefully I’ll get to post daily. 




No comments:

Post a Comment