Friday, July 12, 2019

Blane birdsits




When Viv asked for a bird for her 10th birthday (birdthday), she picked out Kiwi, the looker on the right. Then he seemed lonely so she chose Lulu because she thought they'd get along and she was right -- they adore each other!

Though we had some people lined up to take care of the birds, Viv thought it would be best for the birds to be in their own house so they'd be comfortable and relaxed so we asked our next door neighbor, Blane, and he agreed to birdsit for us. Blane is a fantastic neighbor who is friendly and helpful and good company and he always looks out for us. Years ago he had a traumatic brain injury so he has some working memory difficulties, but he works really hard to create an ordered, structured life and is an artist so his creativity helps keep his brain active. Each day Blane sent us updates and I was delighted by each of them! Many were texts in the format of Army parlance (he's a vet), but his emails were longer.

Here are some of his missives:

July 2:

Crysti- visited Lulu and Kiwi this am. They have food and water. I will visit later today again. I texted you just now too...I'm emailing you as well cause I don't know what your phone acess will be with your travel today.

Also- budgies were talking up a storm!

 The Sgt Zubris "bird patrol" is full service. I checked the outer back door- locked. Basement door-deadbolted...back door-(interior door)-knob and deadbolt unlocked!- now secure. Also, Jazzy (neighbor's dog..barks from 2nd floor when I cut across yard)...so good to go. 

Have a great trip!

July 4th:

Happy Independence Day!

July 5th:
Hou's it gaun in Scotland?

 Tonight I played the love birds " These Boots are made for Walking" playlist...sung by David Haselhoff, Nancy Sinatra, from unknown to the talking heads...even a punk rock band does a version! I don't know if it's familiarity with me now, but Kiwi is no longer "hunkered" down and is no longer a crabbit. Lulu continues to flirt and be a blether.







July 5 (2nd shift):
Today we are listening to Joan Jet, Madonna now...I think Patsy Cline gets the most singing back...but.wait...they are bopping there heads now to Pat Benatar!

July 8th:
Kiwi and Lulu are now able to communicate their musical preferences in a way I can understand.

 If they like something they give an occasional chirp while I'm at the cage (They both like Jewel). 

If they don't like the music...they will wait till I'm walking away before they sing/speak...(basically talking behind my back)...they do this when I play Army Cadence, U2 and Run DMC.

They are cool with Johnny Cash.

July 9th:
They haven't got on my finger.

They are talking to, at, or about me daily now when I visit.

I talk to them, praise them for keeping the seeds off the floor and tonight I introduced them to the song...

"Surfin-Bird" by the Trashman. They totally dig it! "the Bird, Bird,Bird...Bird is the word. See attached.

They were bored with the Beach Boys and Jan &Dean the other day...go figure, I guess its the Trashman's pre-punk edge.


July 11th:
Lulu and Kiwi have been like glue for days.
Lulu has relented to Kiwi's never-ending attention and they are closer than ever.

Kiwi continues to stand tall. I'm not sure if it's so Lulu can place her head on his shoulder or that his self-esteem has improved. Probably both. He is smitten!

Lulu continues to flirt with me, but not in front of Kiwi and in just a friendly outgoing personality type way.

 Seems she no longer has a need to get Kiwi jealous just to get his attention. 

I think they have gotten engaged as I saw what appeared to be a "ring" on Lulu's left claw.

Turns out it was just a strand from the millet that somehow was spun around her claw and fell off when hopping around the bird bath. 

The bird bath has been on the floor of the cage since day one as I couldn't figure out the whole plexi hood/hang it back up thing.

They are now used to it being there and use it daily and I change the bath water nightly (I found a cage sweet spot where the seeds and poop don't drop in the water).

I've stuck with a cold water bath. I've thought about kicking it up a notch with warm water and some bubbles...but that would involve me going to Pet Smart and asking " Hey, do you guys sell bubble bath for budgies"?...a w k w a r d!

The AC continues to predictably be between 72-74 degrees.

Alexa has now progressed to completely ignoring me. 

She used to at least put the front window light on when I asked (like after the 3rd or fourth time... as I do random bird patrols after sunset).

She does put the automatic lights on and off like clockwork...I know this because I'm Watching her.


I continue to move the chairs, potted plant and door rug a little bit and sit for a few to establish somebody's home.

 The neighborhood begging for beer chronics (got a quarter? a cigarette?) seem to have adjusted well to the increased averting of there eyes when they walk by my home to include yours as well. (Ha!...I have put them to work!)

My nephew as a boy called my mom "Bird" as she had birds when he was a toddler and still calls her that at 40 years old.

My sisters and I used to call her "The Nose" or  "The Beak" because it was big and us kids had a sick sense of humor. (I still draw cartoons of it as well). My mom loves them!

 I made a short "movie" of Lulu and Kiwi the other day. I did this to show my mom at the nursing home on Tuesday. She had the most sustained smile on since she had her stroke 4 years ago. She watched it twice!

PS:

 I have yet to encounter "robo-vac" moving around. I think he may be milking the clock while the "boss is on vacation".
I'm Watching him as well.



























No comments:

Post a Comment