Monday, April 3, 2017

Portrush

Blogger has been messing with me. I had a whole entry and then - bam! - it disappeared. Grrrr.

This version may be truncated because I'm peeved about losing my saved draft. Oh yeah, it was totally saved.

 

Since Paris was out of the picture for the weekend (due to fluid in the ears), we decided on a train to Portrush, billed as Northern Ireland's Favourite Holiday Destination.  I booked a hotel, and we headed off (a bit later then expected because of a delightfully lazy Saturday morning).

 
Viv got more Blu-Tak the day before and made shapes since we got train seats with a table. Four super-fun girls got on the train all decked out and we had a grand time together. I'd taken Kwell's Kids so I was a little foggy, but these girls were so lovely they made me feel like I was still fun (even though I was not even funny or amusing).

 

They had two kinds of crisps -- beef and pickled onion -- but had never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! We swapped. We all liked our own things best. But it was hilarious to try each other's foods.

 

We got to Portrush and checked in to the hotel, then headed out to town to check out the beach.



Image result for portrush


Image result for portrush

 

I talked to a really nice couple with a friendly Schnauzer and they told me all about great places to go in Portugal. Vivian, meanwhile, started out by taking off her shoes and socks. Then she put her toes in the water. Then she put her feet in the water. Then she went in up to her ankles Then it was mayhem skipping and frolicking and giggling. Keep in mind: it wasn't really warm.





There wasn't much point doing anything else in town because the kid was soaked on her whole bottom half and had perma-grim, delighted with herself. We called the cab driver, headed back to the hotel, thawed the child in a bath, then ordered room service and watched a movie together. It was divine!

The next morning we went to breakfast at a little cafe and the man behind the counter told us there was a deck with great views. He wasn't kidding! It was gorgeous!





After breakfast we headed to Barry's Amusements and were the first people there. Viv had the place to herself and played the game where she tried to throw softballs into milk jugs (the nice man kept handing her softballs and pretending to duck. Hilarious!), then the feat of strength where she didn't know she was supposed to slam a giant hammer to ring a bell. Again, the same nice man showed her how to do it and let her keep going until "Oh, look ya wee one! Ya did it!" What a nice guy.



The next 40 minutes were spent watching Viv soar down the inflatable slide -- 3 rides per token. It was well worth it to see the sheer glee on her face as she flew down, seemingly weightless.





As we rode the train home, we realized we didn't want or adventure to end just yet. I looked up movies and Boss Baby was playing -- we'd seen a preview when we went to see Beauty and the Beast -- so we got tickets, ate dinner, then watched the movie.




Walking home, we stopped at a Tesco to buy bread for Viv's lunches. We went in, got the bread aisle, Viv chose her bread, we went to the counter and stood in line. When we reached the checkout, the girl working there asked what we'd like. I said, "just the bread." She said, "what bread?" I looked at Viv. Viv looked at me. I asked, "where's the bread?" Viv said, "I thought you had it." All three of us cracked up and I said the the girl at the counter, "see you in a few minutes." Rewind, fast-forward, and we finally got the bread.

We walked south on Malone Avenue and guess who we saw! Xena! She's the medical student from Greece we met our first week in Belfast and she helped us figure out how to take the bus to Sandy Row to get Viv school shoes. It was lovely to catch up with her and meet her friends.

That's Xena in the middle!

We skipped home, tired from our day, and promptly went off to bed.

In other news, Vivi has her picture in her school's newsletter!
And I got Viv a dress for the River Cruise and she wants Auntie Jen to see it.


Now that I saw that picture, I need to clean the apartment.


No comments:

Post a Comment