Saturday, March 25, 2017

Daytrippers


We sailed (ferried) off to Scotland for the day!



I wanted to take the ferry pretty much ever since we got here, but this is the first weekend it worked out for us to take the ride to Cairnryan, then back to Belfast.

When we were at Carrickfergus Castle, I saw the ferry in the distance and got shivers of excitement. On Friday, walking to school, I told Vivian how excited I was to take the ferry and she said, "I know. You talk about it a lot." Fact.

My theory was that motion sickness wouldn't be as bad on a ferry as plane or car and I was fine, but it also may be due to the motion sickness tablets I got from the local chemist.

We don't have a car and essentially the only thing by the Scottish port is the port. So I scoped out some possible things to do and Lochinch and Stair Estate and Castle Kennedy are within cab distance. Thanks to a gorgeous forecast, I packed some sandwiches and a bottle of water in my backpack so we could picnic.

Jason, another Fulbrighter, and his family met us on the ferry!

On board:


 
This seems like a real bargain to me. That's round trip!







We arrived at the port and there was a bit of a taxi mishap, but all worked out because we ended up arriving at Castle Kennedy at the same time as Jason and his family!

After walking through the tea room, we emerged in a sun-drenched field with old castle ruins ahead. Like a scene from a movie, four women sat on chairs in front of the ruins, laughing and having a grand time. 

I walked up and said, "seeing you girls makes me miss my girls back home!" And they promptly made me feel welcomed and part of their girl posse. 

 
New girlfriends!

Scotland: these girls should be your official ambassadors. 

 







Let's turn left here.
Okay.
Oh, look...a castle!


Let us in!
(or is it, "Let us out!!"?)

I think it was "Let us out!" 

 


 




 


This is where we stopped to enjoy our sandwich and water picnic lunch. 
 




 

 

No daffodils were harmed in the taking of these pictures. 

 




 

I hate to ruin how lovely these bridge photos are, but full disclosure: she'd just spit in the water.



Let's end where we began: with the Beatles:

No comments:

Post a Comment