Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Stella!

Have you heard about Stella? Stormaggedon?

New York and Pennsylvania are getting hammered with snow -- 24 inches! -- and it's going to be several inches an hour at times.


Meanwhile, in Belfast, I left my coat in the office when I went to lunch. It's a very different weather day here.

You know what's the same about the two areas, though? Manners. A lovely thing about Belfast is that everyone thanks the bus driver as they exit. Every single person. So high five, everyone!

This morning Viv mailed postcards:



And sang a bit of a song from Fantastic Mr. Fox:



And read a Nutrigrain bar box with an accent:



Okay...I have big news.

Look! I got my office key!










Through Chris, I met Aisling, who is a researcher at Queen's (in the same building!) so we had lunch together today and wouldn't you know it, she's researching exactly what I'm reading about for my project. Serendipity! 

Seriously...it really does seem as though each time I think things can't get better, they do.

Plus, we had burrito bowls. In Belfast. Belfast burrito bowls. (everyone loves alliteration!)

Fast forward back to the office with The Gents where we had a conversation about what to call them for the blog. "The Guys" is too generic. "The Lads" is too young. Gavin proposed "The Gents" and that fits them beautifully!

We made a few executive decisions today.

1. the second week of Easter holiday will be in Italy, not Morocco. It'll be a shorter flight and since we'll be returning from Finland, it'll be better to have less flying at that point.

2. I had to pass on the Berlin Fulbright Forum. It was a tough decision, but several factors made it the right choice. I'd have to take Viv out of school for a week and I don't want to stymie her education, especially since she's doing well with math. To break the consistency would not be ideal. Also, I have no child care during the time in Berlin so Viv would have to go to sessions with me and she'd be bored out of her mind. It would be a week of her on an iPad with headphones and me not being able to focus because I'd be thinking about her. So as disappointing as it was to make the decision, I knew it was right for the two of us. It's also a great excuse to go there this summer and get to see the whole city.

3. Gavin, Gareth, and Tony are hosting educational leaders from Israel the week I would have been in Berlin. This means I can tag along for all the events they are doing and it's exactly in line with my research so it's going to be invaluable.

Wow. Everything always works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment