Tuesday, March 21, 2017

When life gives you lemons...

...go to Brussels for chocolate.

This morning I got an email from Fulbright Finland that the grant to go there over Easter isn't going to work because they're all off...for Easter.

I did a bit of recon work with my friend Tiffany, a Fulbrighter in Finland, because we were devastated about not getting to see each other.

Picture the scene:
Two girls
Two different countries
One plan: see each other

The result = Brussels!

Pros:                                                                            Cons:                                                    
-Hop On/Hop Off Tours!
-A Place so grand it's called The Grand Place
-The Peeing Boy (no, seriously. It's called that.)              -It makes me laugh like Zach Galifinakas
-Mini-Europe!
-Chocolate tours                                                                    -Vivi may not eat anything else ever again


I think we'll stay in this Airbnb, which we're drawn to for its elevated grass.

(still thinking about the peeing statue)


Anyway....the big Vivi news of the day!




 The Swimming Gala!

Victoria Prep had their Swimming Gala at the Queen's University Sport Complex pool. This morning she was nervous; she said she still has to come up for air and I told her it's no big deal because the most important thing about swimming is to know how to avoid drowning so if she can keep her head above water, she's doing well.

When I arrived at the pool, I opened the door and was immediately brought back to my days lifeguarding at the SUNY Purchase pool. It felt weird to be in seats instead of on a lifeguard chair, but then all the girls trotted out (though this former lifeguard would have sternly told them to walk) excitedly, looking up at the stands for their fans and smiling outrageously happy smiles.


 

Here's what I'm pretty sure the girls thought it looked like to the spectators:




But this was reality.

And I love the latter one more!

Here's the proud girl wearing her fun Red Nose Day honker.
 

She's all gold to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment