Monday, March 6, 2017

I never had a Monday like this

Good news!

The major part of my inquiry project is a website. I emailed it to the appropriate people back in Lehighton so they can take a look through it before I fine-tune it. I'm really excited! Today I spent a lot of time targeting the next phase of work.

But let's get to the most exciting part of the day!

I was invited to attend a reception in honor of Lew Lukens, ChargĂ© d’Affaires ad interim at the U.S. Embassy in London. It was hosted by Consul General Daniel Lawton at the residence and it was a lovely assortment of people from Northern Ireland who are making the world a better place. The two hours passed faster than I thought possible because each person I talked to was fascinating, bright, enthusiastic, and engaging and while I wish it could have gone on longer, I do like being able to tuck in Vivian so I was happy to get back home close to bedtime.

No matter who I spoke with this evening, the truism kept coming back: people are people are people are people are people. It doesn't make a difference where we live; it comes down to who we are at our core, what we believe in, and the desire to feel connected, that we matter, that we are heard and seen and noticed and valued. There are people in Northern Ireland working passionately to give that to as many as they can and it's fantastic to watch their eyes light up when they talk about successes because those successes mean a real person feels those very real emotions.


No comments:

Post a Comment