Thursday, February 2, 2017

All work and no play...

Remember when I said I was going to get so much reading done? Weeeeeeeeellllll, I did do some, but I also got a lot of emails taken care of and went through the next few weeks of my calendar.

I have a meeting tomorrow with my Fulbright mentor -- I'm really looking forward to it and have notes in my phone at the ready.

Next week I have a meeting at the Department of Education and spent some time figuring out the schedule of Vivi drop off and pick up and what mode of transportation will work best, ValueCab, train, or bus. Because of her drop off time and my meeting time (and it's 35 minutes to drive or 1 hour, 17 minutes transit), I think I'll ValueCab there and transit home.

I also have a Fulbright Welcome Reception coming up at Riddel House. Take a look!




 
I love you, Bus Map. You and I spend a lot of time together. Don't ever stray. Don't go too far away. I couldn't go on without you.
 
Vivi got mail! Thanks, Grandma!

Here's what a post box looks like in Belfast:
Vivi 
And here's what Vivi wants you all to know about mail. She wants it.
Apt. 2 38 Windsor Park
Belfast BT9 6FS
United Kingdom

And I bet we'll send you a postcard in return. ;)




This thing on my wrist is useful and comfortable and every time I leave the apartment, it's on my wrist. It has velcro and is the size to hold money or a debit card or, in my case, keys.
 

Everything in Belfast is close. See that white building? Queens is there. Not far, right?



Crosswalks are pretty cool. This is the light...


  and this is the button to press. It doesn't take long until...

The light changes and pedestrians are free to cross.



I like the trees lining this road and hope to see them bloom this spring.


Secret treehouse!
 
This door makes me think there's magic behind it.


Every time we pass a bus stop, Viv wants to get on one.


Bins! Not garbage cans!
 

We pass this house on the way to Victoria. 
 

Marlborough North? South? There's one in the middle, too!


Prep is on SOUTH. NOT North.  

I love this big, old tree:
 

  Viv's playground has this. <3 p="">
After school I wanted to take Viv for a surprise stop at Cafe Fish on Lisburn. What a great visit!
 

Tour Guide Vivi:


Gabby and Gary are fantastic! 

Viv wanted chicken, but I asked Gary what most people get so he put together cod and chips and mushy peas. He didn't steer me wrong because it was delicious and plentiful and warm and it smelled comforting and it steamed as I cut it and just thinking about me makes me drool a little.
Viv's chicken 
 Mine. Mmmm.

We had such a great time getting to know Gabby -- to say she's friendly and warm is not doing her justice. She's from about 20 minutes outside Belfast and (very romantically) got married to her husband after being together over 30 years. They have grown kids who are all on their own in jobs they like and their daughter is rising in the ranks of the police force in London. She showed us pictures and her daughter is gorgeous and looks just as friendly as Gabby. Since Vivi and I like dogs, she showed us a picture of her dog, but we are saving that for Viv's idea of a blog post on Dogs of Belfast.

I could have talked to Gabby for hours, but real life and responsibility beckon, so we headed back to the apartment for homework and laundry (but Viv read Snooty Prune to me again, so it's a Red Letter Night).


No comments:

Post a Comment