Thursday, February 16, 2017

Vivian becomes part Allison

In life, we often happen upon people at exactly the right time; that happened as soon as Vivian and I landed in Belfast: we met the Allison Family.

A few months ago I received an email about my assigned "Fulbright Friend" -- a perk I didn't know existed, but was thrilled about nonetheless. Lauren and I emailed, then Skyped, and as soon as we Skyped, I knew I'd found a friend for the rest of my life.


This girl. As great as she seems in person, I am here to tell you: she's even better in real life. To know how Lauren became the spectacular adult she is, it's important to know who her parents are: Diane and Mark Allison have figured out the special, elusive parenting sorcery that creates admirable citizens.

26 January 2017, I staggered out of baggage claim at George Best Airport in Belfast, thanking technology my kid was wearing a gps tracker because I could barely keep track of a cohesive thought after so little sleep, let alone another human being.

That sound of automatic doors opening resounded in my popping ears and a miracle appeared: two Allison girls.


Lauren and her mom, Diane, waited for us at the airport and if you've read the blog, you know how they whisked us to their house for tea and Vivian fell asleep on their sofa because their home is welcoming and warm and comfortable and snuggly. Then IKEA. And today...get this...they babysat Vivian.

I know!

I was in a predicament because I needed child care for Vivian to attend a Fulbright Reception, but I was having trouble finding someone I could trust with a person I consider more important than anyone else in the world.  And there's Diane, saving the day again.

So I bring you back to Lauren. How did she end up as she is? Her parents. Diane and Mark are beyond thoughtful and considerate: they anticipate when people need help and offer before it's even recognized help is needed (by the recipient). Translation: I didn't know I'd need to feel cozy and comfortable with a cup a tea when I landed in Belfast, but they did. I didn't know Vivian would need to snuggle up on a sofa with dogs napping nearby, but they did. I didn't know how to make a short-term rental feel like a home, but they did. I didn't know how much funny WhatsApp messages would make me feel a part of Belfast, but they did. I didn't know how important it was to attend this event without worry of care for Vivi, but they did.

And that's just a snippet. Really...I messaged Diane tonight after the event finished and she was already driving over to Ridell House to pick up not just this girl, but my next-door neighbor, too.

This is what life is; making connections with people.

I say this to you: we all need to be more like Diane and Mark and Lauren. We all need to extend ourselves to make others feel valued and heard and seen and important.

All the research I've been doing for my Fulbright has pointed out that relationships matter. At the end of our lives, we will not focus on money or position or power. People focus on people. The relationships we build in life are what matter in the end. I am happy and proud to say that the Allison family has proven all the research correct and I don't need data to tell me my life is richer for knowing them.

So while I was at the Fulbright reception, here's what Miss Viv was up to:










I, on the other hand, tried not to embarrass Lehighton and almost succeeded so long as Tess was near me...


...but then my true self emerged:


Sorry, Lehighton.









No comments:

Post a Comment